THE CIRCUS CONSERVATORY OF AMERICA is launching in Portland, Maine as an institution of higher education with a primary mission to provide the highest caliber artistic education available in the United States to circus artists. We will be the “Juilliard of Circus”—the nation’s most rigorous artistic and academic program available to circus artists. Recognizing our responsibilities for general education in the humanities, we are pursuing accreditation by following the process and standards set by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
This mission will be achieved by offering a curriculum that provides opportunities for Conservatory students to:
• Master a circus discipline
• Perform in professional-level circus productions
• Serve as coaching artists in our communities
• Engage in the creative process of writing and directing
• Learn the business and production of circus.
To further this goal, the Conservatory will:
• Actively support professional circus artists by serving as a hub of the circus industry
• Create recreational circus education programming
• Offer social circus opportunities to the wider community
• Advocate for the rise of American circus as an interdisciplinary, respected and widely appreciated art form.
We anticipate opening our facilities and launching initial programming in September 2015 and welcoming our inaugural class of BFA students in September 2016.